Sam Raimi's Poltergeist… Will It Be Any Good?

Home Forums General Bidness Movies Sam Raimi's Poltergeist… Will It Be Any Good?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Jake Salvage Jake Salvage 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jake Salvage
    Jake Salvage
    Keymaster

Just watched the trailer for the new Poltergeist… I love me some Sam Rockwell and Sam Raimi, and the trailer doesn’t look too bad… but I’m slightly worried that this might be too close to the original. They also seem to be trying to explain more in this one, and I firmly believe, especially in horror movies, the less you explain the more scary something is (I.E. Halloween vs Rob Zombie’s Halloween).
    What do you think?

Texrockwolf
    Texrockwolf
    Keymaster

I agree that over explaining things, particularly the supernatural, makes it kinda dumb and at the very least lest satisfying. Take the force for example. Beautiful, poetic, mystical… and utterly ruined with a “proper” explanation.

Zack

I absolutely love Poltergeist. It might be the best execution of a basic haunted house story of all time. That said, I don’t find I rewatch it all that often. I think that’s because – even as good as it is – the whole thing is a little generic. That’s part of what I love about it, it’s like the Platonic ideal of a haunted house story.

But as a result I have a hard time seeing the point of remaking it. What about remaking Poltergeist is essentially different from doing any other haunted house story? It’s not like remaking I Spit On Your Grave with its infamous rape scene, or Last House on the Left with its ending, or the iconic killers like Freddy or Jason. Any scene or iconic image you want to recreate from Poltergeist has been used in a thousand ghost movies before or since. Hell, Insidious was basically a Poltergeist remake already.

On the other hand, I can’t really get mad at a Poltergeist remake either. Basically it’s just another ghost movie. Since it’s a remake of a well-known classic (that’s not produced by Platinum Dunes) it looks like they’re putting some serious effort into really making it good – the cinematography in this trailer is goddamned beautiful – so I actually hold out some hope that this will be decent.

Dirtbag
    Dirtbag

I love a good ghost story movie, but from the looks of the trailer, it looks like it’ll be a beat for beat kind of remake. Oh, sure there’s the odd element changed here and there, but it looks very much like the original, which I love, it’s like the best horror movie from 1982 along with John Carpenter’s the thing. (And I thought the prequel to that movie wasn’t nearly as bad as people said.)

So, yeah fingers crossed that it’s good from me.

Faceless
    Faceless
    Keymaster

To be honest, I’m kinda leery about this remake. Of course it is to early to really say its good or bad. I guess at this point i feel that there are some movies that warrent a remake and others that don’t. Poltergeist for me is one of those movies that I think should be left alone for another decade or so. I mean that movie till this day still gives me the creeps (Fucking Clown). But I do have an open mind about it. so we will just have to wait and see.

Not to mention his last horror film, Drag Me To Hell, was overrated and goofy. And I don’t mean good fun Evil Dead 2 goofy, I mean this film has a freakin’ talking goat goofy. So if that’s Sam Raimi’s new mindset for horror films, then maybe people should be a bit wary of the remake. In fact I’m thinking of reviewing Drag Me To Hell some day.

Jake Salvage
    Jake Salvage
    Keymaster

Raimi has been kind of out of the horror game; and Drag Me To Hell was waaaaay overly goofy, agreed on that front. But we can hope he looked back at his Evil Dead roots and decided to tap into that old Raimi magic…

Poltergeist is one of those movies that still gives me the willies, even though I’ve long been past the point that movies really scare me anymore; with any luck, he’ll do it some justice.

The real irony is that Evil Dead was just remade by a new director, and now Raimi is remaking a film from another director.

Now Tobe Hooper should remake Darkman AND THE SHADOW RITUAL WILL BE COMPLETE.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.