Marvel Reboot Discussion

Home Forums General Bidness Comic Books Marvel Reboot Discussion

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Jake Salvage Jake Salvage 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Texrockwolf
    Texrockwolf
    Keymaster

Ok gang, so Marvel is doing the unthinkable. While once the sliding time scale was enough to keep the Marvel universe running on time, the power that be appear to have decided they wanted in on that sweet, sweet reboot cash grab.

Others say the universe is long overdue for a reboot to clear away the clutter, retcons, and contradictions brought on by 50 or so years of continuity.

What do YOU think, true believer?

Marvel having no reboot whatsoever is what made me a bigger fan of them than DC. There are a lot of reasons why I don’t like reboots, but the main thing is that it made the Marvel universe like an actual universe with a long history rather than an unstable plot device. I think Marvel has been doing a good job with Marvel NOW as they brought back readers’ interest with new comic book series either continuing a characters’ history or introducing new characters, with new creative teams and such. Which is what DC should’ve done to get new readers instead of restart the universe too soon. That’s kinda DC’s thinking, they go way too big. For instance, back in the day when they wanted to include both Flashes in the same universe despite the first Flash being a comic book character to the second, DC decides to introduce another universe. On the other hand, when Marvel introduced a Hulk comic in Fantastic Four comic back in the sixties, they simply implied that Marvel heroes have allowed permission for the Marvel within their universe to sell comics based on them and their stories. It’s specifically stated in Dan Slott’s She-Hulk series where their comics are considered legal documents in super human law. The point is why start now? I mean the worst we had to endure from Marvel were the event comics. So why mess things up now, specially so soon after establishing Marvel NOW?

Jake Salvage
    Jake Salvage
    Keymaster

The reason a lot of things are happening in Marvel comics is simple. It’s Disney. Disney has over the past 5 years acquired Marvel AND the Star Wars franchise. But both those things are a tangle of characters, backstory, and extended universes. Disney dissolved Lucas Arts, stopped creating comics and novels in the extended universe, hell, they did everything but put eps 1-3 out of canon. The same is happening with Marvel in all aspects. Now that Spidey is welcome in the cinematic universe, who knows what they’ll do in the comics to accommodate him. Disney’s certainly got its hands full dealing with these two massive franchises, I can completely see the reason to do a lot of what they’re doing. I don’t have to agree with it certainly, but at least there’s a pretty obvious reason there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.